- The definition of a determinant is something that determines an outcome or result of something.
- When your boss' opinion is ultimately the only opinion that matters in making a decision in your office, this is an example of a determinant.
- If you have a specific gene that is dominant and that always determines what a person's eye color will be, this is an example of a determinant.
Origin: Classical Latin determinans, present participle of determinare
- a thing or factor that determines
- Math. the sum of the products formed from a square matrix in accordance with certain laws
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An influencing or determining element or factor: “Education is the second most important determinant of recreational participation” (John P. Robinson).
- Mathematics The value that is computed from a square matrix of numbers by a rule of combining products of the matrix entries and that characterizes the solvablitity of simultaneous linear equations. Its absolute value can be interpreted as an area or volume.
- Immunology An epitope.
determinant - Medical Definition
- An influencing or determining element or factor.
- Antigenic determinant.