- plural form of depth
- (literary) The deepest part. (Usually of a body of water.)
- Tthe burning ship finally sunk into the depths.
- (literary) A very remote part.
- Into the depths of the jungle...
- In the depths of the night,
- (of an emotion, mystery) The lowest point, all-time low, nadir.
- To plumb the depths of despair
- To stir someone to his depths.
- The most severe part.
- in the depths of the crisis.
- in the depths of winter.
- As the meaning is superlative, it is almost always used with the definite article the