- a person or thing that crops
- a machine or workman that cuts or shears leather, nap from cloth, etc.
- a sharecropper
- a plant that yields a crop
Origin of cropperfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps phrase neck and crop a precipitate fall: now chiefly in come a cropper (see phr. below)
come a cropperInformal
- to fall heavily or headlong
- to come to ruin; fail
A person who works land in return for a share of the yield; a sharecropper.
- A heavy fall; a tumble.
- A disastrous failure; a fiasco.
Origin of cropperPerhaps from the phrase neck and crop completely
- a breed of domestic pigeon with large crop
a bird's crop
- a person who nurtures and gathers a crop
- a variety of plant producing a good harvest
- That potato I grew last year was a good cropper.
- A machine for cropping, as for shearing off bolts or rod iron, or for facing cloth.
an agricultural crop