- the producing of a succession of slight, sharp popping sounds
- the browned, crisp rind of roast pork
- [pl.] the crisp part remaining after hog fat or poultry fat has been rendered
- The production of a succession of slight sharp snapping noises.
- cracklings The crisp bits that remain after rendering fat from meat or frying or roasting the skin, especially of a pig or a goose.
Origin of cracklingSense 2, Dutch krakeling from obsolete Dutch kraeckelingh from Middle Dutch krākelinc from krāken to crack ; see cracknel .
(countable and uncountable, plural cracklings)
- Present participle of crackle.