- the producing of a succession of slight, sharp popping sounds
- the browned, crisp rind of roast pork
- the crisp part remaining after hog fat or poultry fat has been rendered
- The production of a succession of slight sharp snapping noises.
- cracklings The crisp bits that remain after rendering fat from meat or frying or roasting the skin, especially of a pig or a goose.
Origin of cracklingSense 2, Dutch krakeling, from obsolete Dutch kraeckelingh, from Middle Dutch krakelinc, from kraken, to crack; see cracknel.
(countable and uncountable, plural cracklings)
- Present participle of crackle.