The definition of a coupler is a device used to connect two things.
An example of a coupler is the metal device that connects one train car to another.
a person or thing that couples; specif.,
- a device for coupling two railroad cars
- a device on an organ connecting two keyboards or keys an octave apart so that they can be played together
- One that couples, especially a device for coupling two railroad cars.
- A device connecting two organ keyboards so that they may be played together.
- (now rare) Someone who couples things together, especially someone whose job it is to couple railway carriages.
- Anything that serves to couple things together; but especially a device that couples railway carriages.
- (music) A device that connects two keyboards of an organ together so that they play together.
- A device used to convert electronic information into audible sound signals for transmission over telephone lines.
- An electrical device used to transfer energy from one electric device to another, especially without a physical connection.
From couple + -er.
coupler - Computer Definition
- A passive device that combines or divides signals. See also splitter.
- A passive device that joins three or more optical fiber ends. In one direction, a coupler splits an incoming signal into two or more outgoing signals. In the other direction, a coupler combines two or more incoming signals into one outgoing signal. See also splitter.