- The definition of a coupler is a device used to connect two things.
An example of a coupler is the metal device that connects one train car to another.
coupler definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a person or thing that couples; specif.,
- a device for coupling two railroad cars
- a device on an organ connecting two keyboards or keys an octave apart so that they can be played together
coupler definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that couples, especially a device for coupling two railroad cars.
- A device connecting two organ keyboards so that they may be played together.
coupler - Computer Definition
- A passive device that combines or divides signals. See also splitter.
- A passive device that joins three or more optical fiber ends. In one direction, a coupler splits an incoming signal into two or more outgoing signals. In the other direction, a coupler combines two or more incoming signals into one outgoing signal. See also splitter.
Refers to many different types of sockets for plugging in electric or electronic cables or devices. See network coupler.