The definition of counterintuitive is something that goes against what you believe would be logical, or something that goes against common sense.
When treating someone badly makes him like you more instead of less, this is an example of something that is counterintuitive.
Contrary to what intuition or common sense would indicate: “Scientists made clear what may at first seem counterintuitive, that the capacity to be pleasant toward a fellow creature is … hard work” ( Natalie Angier )
counterintuitive - Computer Definition
Contrary to intuition, instinct, or commonsense expectations. See also normal.
- This may seem counterintuitive, but exercising too much can also cause you to halt in your weight loss progress.
- While it may seem counterintuitive to memorize facts, automaticity is a very important fact in future success in math.
- Although it may seem counterintuitive, drinking alcohol to excess can actually make it more difficult to fall asleep and may leave the sleeper feeling fatigued the next day.
- A bath towel that has complementary colors but a counterintuitive design to the bathroom's style will actually draw more attention to the bathroom walls and floor.
- Even though it might sound counterintuitive, one of the best things you can do to learn how to be a good boyfriend is to continue pursuing your own interests.