- The definition of a contractor is a person who works on an "as needed" basis for a stipulated amount of money.
- An example of a contractor is a self-employed graphic designer.
- An example of a contractor is a landscape architect hired to build a deck.
- one of the parties to a contract
- a person who contracts to supply certain materials or do certain work for a stipulated sum, esp. one who does so in any of the building trades
- a thing that contracts, narrows, or shortens; esp., a muscle that contracts
- One that agrees to furnish materials or perform services at a specified price, especially for construction work.
- Something, especially a muscle, that contracts.
- A person who executes the building or improving of buildings.
- A person or company that performs specific tasks like electrical or plumbing work in construction projects.
- A person or company hired to maintain existing facilities like air conditioning systems, groundskeeping, etc.
contractor - Computer Definition
contractor - Legal Definition
A party to a contract, especially one who agrees to provide goods or services to the other parties.general contractor
A contractor who agrees to undertake a large project, such as the construction of a building, and who hires and coordinates subcontractors to complete parts of the project. Also called a prime contractor.independent contractor
A contractor who agrees to provide services to another party, but who retains significant or complete control over how the work is done. See also employee.subcontractor
A person retained by a contractor (usually a general contractor or another subcontractor) to complete a part or all of the obligations owed by the contractor under a particular contract or series of contracts. For example, general contractors who build houses frequently hire subcontractors to install the plumbing.