The definition of construed is something has been analyzed or interpreted.
An example of construed is someone explaining the meaning of what another said to someone.
- simple past tense and past participle of construe
Variant of construe
transitive verbconstrued, construing
- to analyze (a sentence, clause, etc.) so as to show its syntactic construction and its meaning
- loosely to translate (a passage) orally
- to explain or deduce the meaning of; interpret: her silence was construed as agreement
- to infer or deduce
- Gram. to combine in syntax: the verb “let,” unlike “permit,” is construed with an infinitive omitting the “to”
Origin of construeMiddle English construen ; from Classical Latin construere: see construct
- to analyze sentence structure, esp. in translating
- to be able to be construed, as a sentence