- The definition of construed is something has been analyzed or interpreted.
An example of construed is someone explaining the meaning of what another said to someone.
Variant of construe
transitive verb construed, construing
- to analyze (a sentence, clause, etc.) so as to show its syntactic construction and its meaning
- loosely to translate (a passage) orally
- to explain or deduce the meaning of; interpret: her silence was construed as agreement
- to infer or deduce
- Gram. to combine in syntax: the verb “let,” unlike “permit,” is construed with an infinitive omitting the “to”
Origin: Middle English construen ; from Classical Latin construere: see construct
- to analyze sentence structure, esp. in translating
- to be able to be construed, as a sentence