- An example of a concordance is two friends agreeing to go into business in a certain way.
- An example of a concordance is a list showing how many times the word Jesus shows up in the Bible and in what passages.
The definition of concordance is an agreement, or an alphabetical list of primary words used by an author.
- agreement; harmony
- an alphabetical list of the chief words used in a book or by a writer, with the passages in which they occur identified or cited
Origin of concordanceMiddle English concordaunce ; from Old French concordance ; from Medieval Latin concordantia ; from Classical Latin concordans, present participle of concordare, to agree ; from concors: see concord
- Agreement; concord.
- An alphabetical index of all the words in a text or corpus of texts, showing every contextual occurrence of a word: a concordance of Shakespeare's works.
- Genetics The presence of a given trait in both members of a pair of twins.
From French, from Late Latin concordantia.