- The definition of concordance is an agreement, or an alphabetical list of primary words used by an author.
- An example of a concordance is two friends agreeing to go into business in a certain way.
- An example of a concordance is a list showing how many times the word Jesus shows up in the Bible and in what passages.
- agreement; harmony
- an alphabetical list of the chief words used in a book or by a writer, with the passages in which they occur identified or cited
Origin of concordanceMiddle English concordaunce ; from Old French concordance ; from Medieval Latin concordantia ; from Classical Latin concordans, present participle of concordare, to agree ; from concors: see concord
- Agreement; concord.
- An alphabetical index of all the words in a text or corpus of texts, showing every contextual occurrence of a word: a concordance of Shakespeare's works.
- Genetics The presence of a given trait in both members of a pair of twins.
From French, from Late Latin concordantia.