- the part of a garment that encircles the neck
- a cloth band or folded-over piece attached to the neck of a garment
- an ornamental band, chain, or circlet worn around the neck
- a band of leather or metal for the neck of a dog, cat, etc.
- the part of the harness which fits around the base of the neck of a horse or other draft animal and against which the animal exerts pressure in pulling a load
- a ring or flange, as on rods or pipes, to prevent sideward motion, connect parts, etc.
- a distinctive band, as of a different color or texture, around the neck of an animal, bird, etc.
- the foam that forms on the top of a glass of beer
- ☆ Slang an arrest or capture
ME coler < OFr colier < L collare, band or chain for the neck < collum, the neck < IE base *kwel-, to turn > wheel, Ger hals, neck