- The definition of chloroform is a clear, toxic liquid that can be used as a cooling agent, as a solvent or as an anesthetic.
- An example of chloroform is a liquid used to keep your refrigerator cold.
- An example of chloroform is a liquid used to get the morphine out of a poppy plant.
- An example of chloroform is what is used in movies to knock someone out in a kidnapping.
Origin of chloroformFrench chloroforme: see chloro- and amp; formyl
- to anesthetize with chloroform
- to kill with chloroform
transitive verbchlo·ro·formed, chlo·ro·form·ing, chlo·ro·forms
- To treat with chloroform to anesthetize, render unconscious, or kill.
- To apply chloroform to.
Origin of chloroformchloro– + form(yl).
(third-person singular simple present chloroforms, present participle chloroforming, simple past and past participle chloroformed)
- To treat with chloroform, or to render unconscious with chloroform.
From French chloroforme