- to chirp repeatedly
- to make a series of sharp, sucking sounds with the lips, as in urging a horse on
Origin: variant, variety of chirp
- chirrupy adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb chir·ruped, chir·rup·ing, chir·rups verb, intransitive
- To utter a series of chirps.
- To make clucking or clicking sounds with the lips, as in urging on a horse.
- To sound with chirps.
- To make clucking sounds to.
- A series of chirps.
- A series of clucks or clicking sounds, such as those made to urge on a horse.
Origin: Variant of chirp.