- The definition of a century is a 100-year-long period of time.
An example of a century is the years 1800-1900.
century definition by Webster's New World
- any period of 100 years, as from 1620 to 1720
- a period of 100 years reckoned from a certain time, esp. from the beginning of the Christian Era ( 1) [ 1 through 100 is the first century; 1801 through 1900 is the 19th century; 400 through 301 is the 4th century]: in common usage, a century begins with a year ending in 00 and runs through 99, as 1800-1899
- in ancient Rome
- a military unit, originally made up of 100 men
- a subdivision of the people made for voting purposes
- a series, group, or amount of a hundred
Origin: Classical Latin centuria ; from centum, hundred
- centurial adjective
century definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. cen·tu·ries
- Abbr. C. or c. or cent.a. A period of 100 years.b. Each of the successive periods of 100 years before or since the advent of the Christian era.
- a. A unit of the Roman army originally consisting of 100 men.b. One of the 193 electoral divisions of the Roman people.
- A group of 100 things.
Origin: Latin centuria, a group of a hundred, from centum, hundred; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots.
- cen·tuˈri·al adjective
- cenˈtu·ry·longˌ adjective