- The definition of centennial is something related to a 100th anniversary.
A party to celebrate a 100th anniversary of an event is an example of a centennial.
- A centennial is defined as a 100th anniversary, or a celebration of a 100th anniversary.
A 100th anniversary of a city is an example of a centennial.
- of 100 years
- happening once in 100 years
- lasting 100 years
- of a 100th anniversary
Origin of centennialfrom Classical Latin centum, hundred + annus, year (see annual) + -al
- Of or relating to an age or period of 100 years.
- Occurring once every 100 years: a centennial commemoration.
- Of or relating to a 100th anniversary.
Origin of centennialLatin centum hundred ; see dek&mlowring; in Indo-European roots. (bi)ennial
- Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before.
- a centennial ode
- Happening once in a hundred years.
- a centennial jubilee; a centennial celebration
- Lasting or aged a hundred years.
- The hundredth anniversary of an event or happening.