- The definition of centennial is something related to a 100th anniversary.
A party to celebrate a 100th anniversary of an event is an example of a centennial.
- A centennial is defined as a 100th anniversary, or a celebration of a 100th anniversary.
A 100th anniversary of a city is an example of a centennial.
- of 100 years
- happening once in 100 years
- lasting 100 years
- of a 100th anniversary
Origin: ; from Classical Latin centum, hundred plush annus, year (see annual) plush -al
- centennially adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to an age or period of 100 years.
- Occurring once every 100 years: a centennial commemoration.
- Of or relating to a 100th anniversary.
Origin: Latin centum, hundred; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots + (bi)ennial.
- cen·tenˈni·al·ly adverb