centenary[sen′tə ner′ē, sen ten′ər ē]
- relating to a century; of a period of 100 years
- of a centennial
Origin of centenaryClassical Latin centenarius, of a hundred ; from centeni, a hundred each ; from centum, hundred
- Of or relating to a 100-year period.
- Occurring once every 100 years.
- A 100-year period.
- A centennial.
Origin of centenaryLatin centēnārius, of a hundred, from centum, hundred; see dek&mlowring; in Indo-European roots.
- Of, pertaining to, or completing a period of 100 years.
- A one hundredth anniversary
Attested since about 1790, from Late Latin centenarius (“of one hundred”), from Latin centeni (“one hundred each”) (from centum (“hundred”)) + -arius.