- an outdoor fire at a campsite
- a social gathering around such a fire
- An outdoor fire in a camp, used for cooking or warmth: sat around the campfire, telling scary stories.
- A meeting held around such a fire.
- Having no way to refuse, she followed him to the campfire of their host.
- A huge campfire was blazing brightly in the midst of the snow, lighting up the branches of trees heavy with hoarfrost.
- "Well, now he'll come away," Petya thought every moment as he stood by the campfire listening to the talk.
- After the second day's march Pierre, having examined his feet by the campfire, thought it would be impossible to walk on them; but when everybody got up he went along, limping, and, when he had warmed up, walked without feeling the pain, though at night his feet were more terrible to look at than before.
- When the officers had emptied and smashed their glasses, Kirsten filled others and, in shirt sleeves and breeches, went glass in hand to the soldiers' bonfires and with his long gray mustache, his white chest showing under his open shirt, he stood in a majestic pose in the light of the campfire, waving his uplifted arm.