The definition of butterflies are nectar-feeding, flying insects with wings, or the term butterflies also refers to a feeling of nerves, which might cause a fluttering in your stomach.noun
- Nectar feeding insects called Monarchs are an example of butterflies.
- The nervous feeling that a child gets before her first dance recital is an example of butterflies.
See also insects.Lepidoptera an order of insects comprising the butterflies, moths, and skippers, that as adults have four membranous wings more or less covered with scales. —lepidopterous, lepidopteral, adj. lepidopterology a branch of zoology that studies butterflies and moths. —lepidopterist, n.
Variant of butterfly
noun pl. butterflies
- any of various families of lepidopteran insects active in the daytime, having a sucking mouthpart, slender body, ropelike, knobbed antennae, and four broad, usually brightly colored, membranous wings
- a person, esp. a woman, thought of as flitting about like a butterfly and being frivolous, fickle, etc.
- butterfly stroke
- a contest in which each contestant uses a butterfly stroke
Origin: ME buterflie < OE buttorfleoge (see butter & fly): in folklore, it is thought to steal milk or butter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.