Variant of buckle
- a clasp on one end of a strap or belt for fastening the other end in place
- a clasplike ornament, as for shoes
- a clasp on a strap that fits into a matching part on a post, another strap, etc. thereby securing the strap
Origin: Middle English bokel, a buckle, boss of a shield ; from Old French bocle ; from Late Latin bucula, beaver, shield ; from Classical Latin buccula, cheek strap of a helmet, diminutive of bucca, cheek: see buccal
- to be fastened or joined by a buckle
- Obsolete to engage in a struggle; grapple
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.