- The definition of a bromide is a compound containing bromine.
An example of a bromide is potassium bromide which is a sedative.
- a compound in which bromine is combined with a certain element, radical, etc., as silver bromide or methyl bromide
- potassium bromide, KBr, used in medicine as a sedative
Origin: from association with dullness of minda trite saying; platitude
Origin: brom(o)- plush -ide
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A binary compound of bromine with another element, such as silver.b. Potassium bromide.
- a. A commonplace remark or notion; a platitude. See Synonyms at cliché.b. A tiresome person; a bore.
bromide - Medical Definition
- A binary compound of bromine with another element, especially a salt containing monovalent negatively charged bromine.
- Potassium bromide.
bromide - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.