A narrow strait separating European and Asian Turkey and joining the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara. It has been an important trade route since ancient times.
- Extremity only parted from Europe by the narrow straits of the Bosporus and Dardanelles.
- In return for his assistance against the Scythians, the Greeks of the Cimmerian Bosporus and the Tauric Chersonese recognized his suzerainty.
- They fought their duel out upon the Bosporus, off Sardinia, and in the Morea, with various success.
- It contains a description of the southern coast of the Euxine from the Thracian Bosporus to the river Iris in Pontus.
- These two divisions (which in spite of good treatment by Alexius began to commit excesses against the Greeks) united and crossed the Bosporus in August, Peter himself remaining in Constantinople.