balance beambalance beam
- a long, narrow, horizontal wooden beam raised about 4 feet (1.2 m) above the floor, on which women gymnasts perform balancing routines consisting of jumps, tumbles, turns, running steps, etc.
- an event in which such routines are performed, usually with recorded musical accompaniment
- A horizontal raised beam with a width of 10 centimeters (4 inches) and a length of 5 meters (16 feet) that is used in gymnastic competition for balancing exercises.
- A competitive gymnastics event in which various balancing feats are performed on this beam.
Evgenia Zafeiraki of Greece at the 2007 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships
(plural balance beams)
- (gymnastics) A narrow wooden rail used in gymnastics.
- The horizontal member of any balance (scale,) usually carrying pans at each end, supported at its center by a fulcrum.
- attributive form of balance beam, noun.
- That gymnast is a balance-beam expert.