- The definition of bailey is a protective wall surrounding a castle, or the outdoor space created by the castle's protective walls.
- In a movie where people are fighting from the top of a castle wall trying to keep out the approaching enemy, the outermost wall is an example of a bailey.
- An example of a bailey is a courtyard inside the protection of the castle walls where the ladies of the community gather daily to converse.
The bailey of Harlech Castle.
bailey definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English baili, variant, variety of baile, bail
bailey definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. bai·leys
- The outer wall of a castle.
- The space enclosed by this outer wall.
Origin: Middle English bailli, from Old French baille, probably from Latin bacula, pl. of baculum, log, stick; see bacillus.
, Nathan or Nathaniel Died 1742.