- water moved backward, as by a ship or an oar
- a backward current or flow, as of air from an airplane propeller
- a reaction or commotion caused by some event
- a. A backward flow of water, as from the action of oars.b. See backrush.
- A backward flow of air, as from the propeller of an aircraft.
- A result of an event; an aftermath.
- Informal A backward flow of liquid from the mouth into a bottle or other drinking vessel at the end of a swig.
(third-person singular simple present backwashes, present participle backwashing, simple past and past participle backwashed)
- To operate a water filter in the reverse direction in order to clean it.