- Automatically is defined as moving or starting independently or without thought.
Blinking and breathing are both examples of functions done automatically.
(comparative more automatically, superlative most automatically)
- In an automatic manner.
automatic + -ally
Variant of automatic
- done without conscious thought or volition, as if mechanically
- involuntary or reflex, as some muscle or gland action
- moving, operating, etc. by itself; regulating itself: automatic machinery
- done with automatic equipment: an automatic landing
- using the force of the explosion of a shell to eject the empty cartridge case, place the next cartridge into the breech, and fire it, so that shots continue in rapid succession until the trigger is released
- semiautomatic (sense )
Origin of automatic; from Classical Greek automatos, self-moving, self-thinking (; from autos, self + component ; from Indo-European an unverified form mntos, thinking ; from base an unverified form men-, to think from source mind, memory) + -ic
- an automatic (or, popularly, semiautomatic) firearm
- any automatic machine
- an automotive vehicle having a transmission that changes gears automatically