conducted or effected in a manner that is formal, impersonal, etc.: arm's-length negotiations
Origin of arm’s-lengthfrom at arm's length (see phrase under arm)
- attributive form of arm's length
- The price reached in an arm's-length transaction is assumed to be the market price.
(plural arm's lengths)
- A distance approximately equal to the length of a human's arm.
- (figuratively) A position not suggesting or inviting intimacy.
- She remained at arm's length though we worked together for many years.
- (figuratively) A condition of independence and parity for parties to a transaction.
- The police work at arm's length from the army.
(comparative more arm's length, superlative most arm's length)
arm’s length - Legal Definition
Of or relating to the bargaining position or dealings of two or more unrelated parties of approximately equal bargaining power who are not connected, on close terms, or in a confidential relationship with each other and whose mutual dealings are influenced only by their own self-interest.