Origin of arm’s-lengthfrom at arm's length (see phrase under arm)
- attributive form of arm's length
- The price reached in an arm's-length transaction is assumed to be the market price.
(plural arm's lengths)
- A distance approximately equal to the length of a human's arm.
- (figuratively) A position not suggesting or inviting intimacy.
- She remained at arm's length though we worked together for many years.
- (figuratively) A condition of independence and parity for parties to a transaction.
- The police work at arm's length from the army.
(comparative more arm's length, superlative most arm's length)
arm’s length - Legal Definition