- An anvil is defined as a block made of iron and used as a surface on which to hammer heated metals into desired shapes.
An example of someone who might use an anvil is a blacksmith.
- The definition of an anvil is a non-moving portion of some tools used for measurement.
An example of a tool that has an anvil is a measuring gauge.
A man using an anvil.
anvil definition by Webster's New World
- an iron or steel block on which metal objects are hammered into shape
- the incus, one of the three bones of the middle ear
Origin: Middle English anvelt ; from Old English anfilt ; from an, on plush an unverified form filtan, to hit, beat ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pel-, to beat from source (im)pel, felt
anvil definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A heavy block of iron or steel with a smooth, flat top on which metals are shaped by hammering.b. Something resembling an anvil, as in shape or function.
- The fixed jaw in a set of calipers against which an object to be measured is placed.
- Anatomy See incus.
Origin: Middle English anfilt, from Old English; see pel-5 in Indo-European roots.
anvil - Computer Definition
A family of CADD/CAM software packages from MCS, Inc., Scottsdale, AZ (www.mcsaz.com). ANVIL products include 2D and 3D mechanical engineering systems for Windows. Founded in 1971, MCS was the first mechanical CAD company.
anvil - Medical Definition