Variant of amphitheater
- a round or oval building with an open space (arena) surrounded by rising rows of seats
- a scene of conflict, competition, etc.; arena
- a sloping gallery in a theater
- a lecture hall with a sloping gallery, esp. one for observing surgical procedures in a medical school or hospital
- a level place surrounded by rising ground
Origin: Classical Latin amphitheatrum ; from Classical Greek amphitheatron: see amphi- and amp; theater
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.