- [alsoA-] a liqueur with an almond flavor
- pl. -·ti a macaroon made of ground almonds and often containing a bitter flavoringalso amaretto (or amaretti) cookie
Origin of amarettoIt, literally , rather bitter from amaro ( from Classical Latin amarus), bitter
- pl. am·a·ret·tos An Italian liqueur flavored with almond.
- pl. am·a·ret·ti, A small crisp Italian cookie typically flavored with almond.
Origin of amarettoItalian diminutive of amaro bitter from Latin amārus
(countable and uncountable, plural amarettos)
- (uncountable, countable) A sweet-bitter liqueur originating from Italy (but also prodcued in Turkey), flavored with almonds and a secret blend-specific mix of some 200 ingredients such as the pits from apricots, peaches, cherries or other stone-fruits.
- Amaretto makes a fine digestive
- (countable) A glass of that liqueur
- Gino has an amaretto on the porch after every elaborate meal