- Ala is French and is defined as prepared in a certain way or for a particular person.
An example of ala used as an adjective is in the phrase "chicken ala king," which means chicken for a king, typically a chicken cooked in a cream sauce with green peppers, mushrooms and red peppers.
- The definition of an ala is a wing like structure.
An example of an ala is the wing of an airplane.
An example of ala is this airplane wing.
- Zool. a wing
- a winglike structure, as a lobe of the ear or a side petal of a butterfly-shaped corolla
Origin of alaClassical Latin a wing: see aileron
- Zoology A wing or winglike structure or part.
- Anatomy A flat, winglike anatomic process or part, especially of bone.
- Botany The flattened border of some stems, fruits, and seeds, or either one of the two side petals of certain flowers in the pea family.
Origin of alaLatin āla, wing.
(plural alae or alæ)
- (zoology) A wing or winglike structure.
- (anatomy) A winglike anatomical process or part, especially of bone.
- (botany) The flattened border of some stems, fruits, and seeds, or one of the two side petals of certain flowers in the pea family.
- (architecture) In ancient Rome, a small room opening into a larger room or courtyard.
Originated 1730–40 from Latin āla (“wing”).
- (colloquial) Alternative form of a la.