A map showing the state of Alabama.
- Southern state of the SE U.S., on the Gulf of Mexico: admitted, 1819; 50,744 sq mi (131,426 sq km); pop. 4,447,000; cap. Montgomery: abbrev. AL or Ala
- river flowing through central and SW Ala., joining the Tombigbee to form the Mobile river: 315 mi (607 km)
Origin of Alabama; from French Alibamon ; from name of a Muskogean tribe ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Abbr. AL or Ala.
- Al′a·ba′mi·an , Al′a·bam′an
nounpl. Alabama or Al·a·bam·as
- A member of a tribe of the Creek confederacy formerly inhabiting southern Alabama and now located in eastern Texas.
- The Muskogean language of the Alabama.
Origin of AlabamaAlabama Alba·mo, Alabama person.
- A state of the United States of America (postal abbreviation AL) in the southeastern United States with its capital at Montgomery, and Birmingham as its largest city.
- The Alabama River, which runs through the state of Alabama.
- A Native American tribe originally from central Alabama.
- The language of the Alabama Nation.
From Alabama Albaamaha (“the name of a people formerly native to the area”)