A map showing the state of Alabama.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Southern state of the SE U.S., on the Gulf of Mexico: admitted, 1819; 50,744 sq mi (131,426 sq km); pop. 4,447,000; cap. Montgomery: abbrev. AL or Ala
- river flowing through central and SW Ala., joining the Tombigbee to form the Mobile river: 315 mi (607 km)
Origin: ; from French Alibamon ; from name of a Muskogean tribe ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. Alabama or Al·a·bam·as
- a. A tribe of the Creek confederacy formerly inhabiting southern Alabama and now located in eastern Texas.b. A member of this tribe.
- The Muskogean language of the Alabama.
Abbr. AL or Ala.
- Alˌa·baˈmi·an , Alˌa·bamˈan adjective & n.