A map showing the state of Alabama.
Alabama definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Southern state of the SE U.S., on the Gulf of Mexico: admitted, 1819; 50,744 sq mi (131,426 sq km); pop. 4,447,000; cap. Montgomery: abbrev. AL or Ala
- river flowing through central and SW Ala., joining the Tombigbee to form the Mobile river: 315 mi (607 km)
Origin: ; from French Alibamon ; from name of a Muskogean tribe ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Alabama definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. Alabama or Al·a·bam·as
- a. A tribe of the Creek confederacy formerly inhabiting southern Alabama and now located in eastern Texas.b. A member of this tribe.
- The Muskogean language of the Alabama.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Abbr. AL or Ala.
A state of the southeast United States. It was admitted as the 22nd state in 1819. Alabama was first explored by the Spanish, and the southern section was claimed by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase (1803). Montgomery is the capital and Birmingham the largest city. Population: 4,630,000.
- Alˌa·baˈmi·an , Alˌa·bamˈan adjective & n.