- The definition of agape is dropping your jaw in surprise or wonder.
When you hear something so wonderful that your mouth automatically opens wide, that is an example of your mouth agape.
agape definition by Webster's New World
- with or as with the mouth wide open, in surprise, wonder, etc.; gaping
- wide open
Origin: a- plush gape
- a meal that early Christians ate together
- Christian Theol.
- God's love for humanity
- spontaneous, altruistic love
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin ; from Late Greek agapē ; from Classical Greek agapan, to greet with affection, love
agape definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adverb & adj.
- In a state of wonder or amazement, as with the mouth wide open.
- Wide open.
- Christianity Love as revealed in Jesus, seen as spiritual and selfless and a model for humanity.
- Love that is spiritual, not sexual, in its nature.
- Christianity In the early Christian Church, the love feast accompanied by Eucharistic celebration.
Origin: Greek agapē, love.