- The definition of an aftershock is an earthquake near or in the same place as an earlier earthquake, or an effect or result of an event.
- A rumbling a little while after an earthquake happens is an example of an aftershock.
- The loss of all of your money after putting it all into risky stocks in an example of an aftershock.
a minor earthquake, usually one of a series, that follows a larger earthquake and originates at or near the same place
- A quake of lesser magnitude, usually one of a series, following a large earthquake in the same area.
- A further reaction following the shock of a deeply disturbing occurrence or revelation: “The industry continued to reel from aftershocks of a disastrous [year]” (David Lake).