- The definition of an accompaniment is an item that goes with something else, or a musical part intended to be played in support of the other parts of the piece.
- An example of an accompaniment would be a small edible garnish included with an entree.
- An example of musical accompaniment would be a guitar piece that supports a vocalist.
accompaniment definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- anything that accompanies something else; thing added, usually for order or symmetry
- Music a part, usually instrumental, performed together with the main part for richer effect: the piano accompaniment to a song
accompaniment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Music A vocal or instrumental part that supports another, often solo, part.
- Something, such as a situation, that accompanies something else; a concomitant.
- Something added for embellishment, completeness, or symmetry; complement.