- Abreast is defined as things that are next to each other.
An example of abreast is a row of soldiers marching in a parade.
- Abreast means to keep up with something and to stay up-to-date.
An example of abreast is the president of a company that stays informed on the competition’s new products.
Soldiers standing abreast.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- side by side, as in going or facing forward: often with of or with
- informed (of) or conversant (with) recent developments
Origin: a- plush breast
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Side by side: ships docked two abreast.
- Up to date: keeping abreast of the latest developments.