Sit-ups exercise your abdomen.
The definition of abdomen is the middle area on a body between the chest and the hips, also called the belly.
An example of abdomen is the area that you exercise when doing a sit-up.
- in vertebrates
- the part of the body cavity from the thorax to the pelvic girdle, containing the digestive organs, etc.; belly: in mammals, the diaphragm separates this from the thorax
- the region of the trunk between the chest and pelvis
- in arthropods, the posterior body segment containing the reproductive organs, etc.
Origin of abdomenClassical Latin
- The part of the body that lies between the thorax and the pelvis and encloses the stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, and pancreas in humans and other mammals. Also called belly .
- The corresponding region in vertebrates other than mammals.
- The posterior segment of the body in arthropods.
Origin of abdomenLatin abdōmen belly ; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
(plural abdomens or abdomina)
- (anatomy) The belly, or that part of the body between the thorax and the pelvis, not including the back; or in some lower vertebrates, the portion between the cardiac and caudal regions. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- (anatomy) The cavity of the belly, which is lined by the peritoneum, and contains the viscera; often restricted in humans to the part between the diaphragm and the commencement of the pelvis, the remainder being called the pelvic cavity. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- He was all bent over complaining of pains in the abdomen.
- (zoology, entomology) The posterior section of the body, behind the thorax, in insects, crustaceans, and other Arthropoda. [First attested in the late 18th century.]