- The definition of abdomen is the middle area on a body between the chest and the hips, also called the belly.
An example of abdomen is the area that you exercise when doing a sit-up.
Sit-ups exercise your abdomen.
abdomen definition by Webster's New World
- in vertebrates
- the part of the body cavity from the thorax to the pelvic girdle, containing the digestive organs, etc.; belly: in mammals, the diaphragm separates this from the thorax
- the region of the trunk between the chest and pelvis
- in arthropods, the posterior body segment containing the reproductive organs, etc.
Origin: Classical Latin
abdomen definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The part of the body that lies between the thorax and the pelvis and encloses the stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, and pancreas. Also called belly.
- The corresponding region in vertebrates other than mammals.
- The posterior segment of the body in arthropods.
Origin: Latin abdōmen, belly; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
abdomen - Cultural Definition
abdomen - Medical Definition
abdomen - Science Definition
- In vertebrates, the portion of the body between the thorax and pelvis, containing the stomach, intestines, liver, and other organs. In mammals, the abdomen is separated from the thorax by the diaphragm.
- In arthropods, the last, most posterior segment of the body.
- abdominal abdominal adjective