- Anat., Zool.
- the belly, or abdomen
- a protuberance like a belly, as on a muscle
- a cavity or hollowed surface
- Law the womb: used in designating maternal parentage, as in children of the first venter, meaning “children of the first wife”
Origin: Anglo-Fr from Classical Latin venter: see ventral
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Anatomy a. The abdomen.b. The prominent fleshy portion of a muscle.c. A cavity or hollowed surface, especially of a bone.
- Zoology A part in lower forms of animal life corresponding to the abdomen of mammals.
- Botany The swollen lower portion of an archegonium containing the egg.
- Law The uterus of a woman as the source of offspring.
Origin: Anglo-Norman, from Latin.
venter - Medical Definition