- a person's work area, including furniture, appliances, etc.; often, specif., such an area with a terminal or personal computer
- a terminal or personal computer that is connected to a network
- a computer, usually intermediate in power between a personal computer and a minicomputer, used for complex or specialized applications, as in engineering design
- A powerful Windows PC that can be used to run complex database programs is an example of a workstation.
- A cubicle where you perform your job is an example of a workstation.
- An area, as in an office, outfitted with equipment and furnishings for one worker and usually including a computer.
- A sophisticated computer used for a specific purpose, such as software development or imaging.
workstation - Computer Definition
(1) A high-performance, single-user machine geared to the professional rather than the consumer. Employed for video editing, computer-aided design (CAD), software development, medical imaging and scientific applications, workstations use a fast multicore CPU with large amounts of memory (RAM) and storage. Today, a workstation is typically an x86-based computer running Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. In the past, RISC-based machines from Sun, HP, IBM and SGI fell into the workstation category.
(2) Any terminal or desktop computer in a network. In this context, workstation is a generic term for a user's machine (client machine) in contrast to a "server" or "mainframe."
(3) In the telecom industry, a combined telephone and computer.
- For example, if you aren't a gourmet chef, you may need a simple layout, whereas an accomplished cook may require a separate preparation area and a larger workstation.
- MRI is performed using a specialized scanner, a patient table, systems that generate radio waves and magnetic fields, and a computer workstation.
- In other words, you want to be able to play an Internet game regardless of whether you are sitting at a PC, a Mac or a Unix workstation.
- First of all, you're going to need a way to create digital files and a computer to use as your workstation.
- CT is performed using a specialized scanner, an x-ray system, a patient table, and a computer workstation.