A man who believes he should have been born a woman is an example of someone who would be described as transgender.
- Identifying as or having undergone medical treatment to become a member of the opposite sex.
- Of or relating to transgender people.
(comparative more transgender, superlative most transgender)
- (narrowly, of a person) Having changed gender identity from male to female, or from female to male. (Compare transsexual.)
- (broadly, of a person) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity. (Compare transsexual, transvestite and genderqueer.)
(usually uncountable, plural transgenders)
- (now rare) Transgenderism; the state of being transgender. (Compare transsex.)
- (sometimes considered offensive) A transgender person.
- See the usage note at transsexual regarding the use of this type of word as a noun.
(third-person singular simple present transgenders, present participle transgendering, simple past and past participle transgendered)
From trans- +"Ž gender.
transgender - Medical Definition
- There are several articles on the site about transgender issues, as well as links to other websites that do offer personals and dating connections for the transgendered community.
- On the one hand, the show would expose the difficult physical and emotional road many other transgender people have to travel to become the person they always knew they were.
- Other storylines throughout the first season include womanizing, alcoholism, murder, homosexuality and even a transgender change when Alex Meade becomes Alexis.
- The site seeks to cater to the entire transgender community, not preferring one segment of it over the other, as well as providing a supportive atmosphere where members can be comfortable with their gender and sexuality.
- The Arquette siblings - Patricia's choices are usually unflattering, Rosanna is often underdressed, the only thing that looks good on David's arm is Courtney Cox, and becoming transgender didn't help Alexis' look.