Thru, the informal version of the word through, is defined as completely or to the end.
An example of thru as an adverb is the phrase drive through town, which means to drive completely around a town.
- (Canada, US, informal, possibly nonstandard) Alternative spelling of through.
- Thru is mostly used where the preposition through could be used (e.g. Monday thru Friday); it is less common as an adjective or adverb (I'm thru with the vacuuming). It is less used in formal situations, except in cases where brevity is wanted such as roadway signs or date ranges.
- This spelling is not used in standard British English, though it can be used as an abbreviation - similar to thro' that's still sometimes seen - and is recently becoming noticeable via American-based companies.
- It is often - in both American and British English - used in professional drafting (5/8"³ thru hole) to save space and simplify annotation on a drawing for fabrication or construction.
American English; proposed as a phonetic and simplified spelling of through in 1839.
- No one likes to deal with a chronically autocratic, pain-in the-butt twit who thinks he orbits in a more rarefied atmosphere far above any of the sub-par creatures he's forced deal with, crawling thru the slime way down below.
- The programs run from morning thru dinner time and feature such amenities as special kids shore excursions, special kids meals, a video arcade, a teen "disco," and theme evenings, such as a talent show and karaoke night.
- Natural diamond color varies and the highest quality white diamonds should appear colorless or clear.The GIA color grading scale rates diamond color from D (no color) thru Z (rich colors / fancy colored diamonds).
- The application has become integrated into Twitter, for example, allowing people to spread the link to their "Elf Yourself" video thru a single tweet that can go out and get passed along to all their friends.
- Solar Tan Thru does not recommend overexposure to the sun, and states that burning through the swimsuit would likely only occur if there is an incident of prolonged exposure.