- the act, state, or fact of surviving
- someone or something that survives, esp. an ancient belief, custom, usage, etc.
Survival is the act of living through something life threatening.
An example of survival is someone beating cancer.
- a. The act or process of surviving.b. The fact of having survived.
- Something, such as an ancient custom or belief, that has survived.
(countable and uncountable, plural survivals)
- The fact or act of surviving; continued existence or life.
- His survival in the open ocean was a miracle; he had fully expected to die.
- (as a modifier) Of, relating to or aiding survival.
- His survival kit had all the things he needed in the wilderness.
From survive +"Ž -al
- The natural selection process is survival of the fittest.
- His own survival was more important.
- The survival rate on wounds like that are zero.
- And that she holds the keys to the world's survival in her hands, Brady added silently.
- The tribal organization in northern Albania is an interesting survival of the earliest form of social combination; it may be compared in many respects with that which existed in the Scottish highlands in the time of the Stuart kings.