- articles or parts made of steel
- [pl., often with sing. v.] steel mill
Steelwork are the parts of something that are made from steel, or a plant where steel is made.
An example of steelwork is the section in a building that is made of steel.
- Something made of steel.
- steelworks used with a sing. verb A plant where steel is made; a foundry.
- The steelwork for a building of any considerable size is almost invariably rolled to order.
- After erection the steelwork should receive one or two coats of paint; two coats are to be recommended, in which case they should be of different colours.
- In German specifications it is required that the steelwork should first receive a coat of boiled linseed oil, in order that the red lead coating should be more coherent with the steel.
- Steelwork that has to come in contact with brickwork or concrete should not be painted, but should receive a wash of cement as the brickwork or concrete-work proceeds.
- The steelwork which is exposed to the weather should be painted about every three years, but when it is under cover an interval of five years may elapse.