a model, typically a crude one, of a castle or other structure, formed as a pastime from wet sand, as at the beach
- Most public beaches sponsor at least one sandcastle contest during the summer season, and whether you win or lose, it's absolutely amazing to see what others can create with wet sand and a lot of ingenuity.
- It's really not necessary to use buckets or shovels; the best method for creating a sandcastle is "hand stacking", which means piling up wet sand by hand.
- A children's sandbox is the perfect place to build a sandcastle or other sandy creations, such as crabs, lobsters, shells and sea turtles.
- If this sounds enticing to you, pack up your swimsuit, towel, and chair, but first, let's talk about the basics of sandcastle construction.
- You also don't want to venture too far from the water's edge either, as water is a necessary item in your sandcastle building arsenal.