- leaping, jumping, or capering
- gushing or jetting forth
- pointing outward; jutting or projecting, as an angle
- standing out from the rest; noticeable; conspicuous; prominent
- most important or notable
Origin of salientClassical Latin saliens, present participle of salire, to leap from Indo-European base an unverified form sel-, to jump from source Classical Greek halma, a leap
- the part of a battle line, trench, fort, etc. which projects farthest toward the enemy
- a salient angle, part, etc.