In March 1885 when the RussoAfghan Boundary Commission should have been engaged in settling the boundary-line, this portion of it was in dispute between the Afghans and the Russians.
On their refusal the Russians attacked them at 3 a.m.
In 1810 it was captured by the Russians, who destroyed the fortifications.
A monument was erected in 1901 to commemorate the Russians who fell.
Three times captured by the Russians, in 1791, 1807 and 1828, and twice restored by them, in 1792 and 1812, it was finally left in their hands by the treaty of Adrianople in 1829.