- any of the German princes and free cities that formally protested to the Diet of Spires (1529) its decision to uphold the edict of the Diet of Worms against the Reformation
- any member of the various Christian churches established as a result of the Reformation
- loosely any Christian not belonging to the Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Church
- [p-] a person who protests
Origin of ProtestantFrench from German from Classical Latin protestans, present participle of protestari: see protest
- of Protestants or Protestant beliefs, practices, etc.
- [p-] protesting