- of or acting as a pivot
- on which something turns or depends; central, crucial, critical, etc.
It was a pivotal moment in their relationship when Anthony proposed to his girlfriend.
The definition of pivotal is something which is central, vital or very important.
An example of something that would be described as a pivotal decision in your life is the decision to marry your spouse.
- Of, relating to, or serving as a pivot.
- Being of vital or central importance; crucial: a decision that was pivotal to our success.
- A change in the marginal propensity to consume causes a pivotal change in the consumption function.
- She would later become a pivotal part of the Justice League animated series in the early part of the 21st century and Justice League Unlimited where she, Superman and Batman formed the pivotal center to the League.
- Since the start of the relationship between movies and advertising sales, movie posters have been pivotal in letting those who already attend the movies know that a new film they may be interested in will soon be released.
- While he's moved on from that pivotal time in his career, he's shown that it doesn't have to be built around the house that The Young and the Restless built, and that there's much more out there for him.
- Bent on a comeback, this time with an impressive new graphics and physics engine, the story takes place during the events of Pearl Harbor and unfolds with the player fighting through pivotal battles against the forces of Japan.