(biology) A lidlike structure covering an opening, especially:
- A bony plate that covers and protects the gills of most bony fishes.
- A horny or calcareous plate attached to the foot of most larval and many adult gastropods, used to close the aperture when the animal retracts into its shell.
- A covering at the top of the spore capsule of most mosses, falling off when mature spores are released.
Any of various covering flaps or lidlike structures in plants and animals.
- The bony covering protecting the gills of fishes.
- In many gastropods, the horny plate serving to close the shell when the animal is retracted.
- The lidlike structure of a spore case in mosses.
- The lidlike structure of a pitcher-shaped leaf.
Something resembling a lid or cover.
The portions of the frontal, parietal, and temporal lobes covering the insula.
A bit of mucus sealing the endocervical canal of the uterus after conception.
The attached flap in cases of torn retinal detachment.
A lid or flap covering an opening, such as the gill cover in some fish or the horny flap covering the opening of a snail.