- a cap worn to bed, esp. formerly, to protect the head from cold
- Informal an alcoholic drink taken just before going to bed or at the end of an evening of partying, a night on the town, etc.
- Informal, Baseball the second game of a double-header
A newborn wearing a nightcap.
- The definition of a nightcap is a cap worn to bed at night to keep the head warm.
An example of a nightcap is a beanie placed on a newborn baby's head while sleeping.
- Nightcap is defined as an alcoholic drink at the end of the night.
An example of a nightcap is two friends having a glass of grappa after a night out.
- A usually alcoholic drink taken just before bedtime.
- Sports & Games The last event in a day's competition, especially the final game in a baseball double-header.
- A cloth cap worn especially in bed.
- A warm cloth cap worn while sleeping, often with pajamas, being common attire in northern Europe before effective home heating became widespread. [From 14th c.]
- Winston wore a nightcap to stave off the cold.
- A beverage drunk before bed that is usually alcoholic. [From 1818.]
- I'll make myself a nightcap of whisky and lemon before heading to bed.
- (US, sports, baseball) The final match of a sporting contest, especially the second game of a baseball doubleheader. [From 1939.]
- Maybe I could rally for a little nightcap after all.
- Mary Hendrikhovna, a plump little blonde German, in a dressing jacket and nightcap, was sitting on a broad bench in the front corner.
- We had such a fun time at Elisabeth's and when we got home we had a nightcap and went up to bed and, well, you know...When we were done, we talked for a while and then he asked me.
- She sat in an armchair in her dressing jacket and nightcap and Katie, sleepy and disheveled, beat and turned the heavy feather bed for the third time, muttering to herself.
- The first person Rostov met in the officers' ward was a thin little man with one arm, who was walking about the first room in a nightcap and hospital dressing gown, with a pipe between his teeth.