- the lowest level reached by the ebbing tide
- the time when the tide is at this level
- the lowest point reached by anything
low tidelow tide
- The lowest level of the tide.
- The time at which the tide is lowest. Also called In both senses also called low water .
- The tide at its lowest level at a particular time and place. The lowest tides reached under normal meteorological conditions (the spring tides) take place when the Moon and Sun are directly aligned with respect to Earth. Low tides are less extreme when the Moon and Sun are at right angles (the neap tides). Storms and other meteorological conditions can greatly affect the height of the tides as well.
See more at tide
- The time at which a low tide occurs.
(plural low tides)