- any of a large genus (Lilium) of perennial plants of the lily family, grown from a bulb and having typically trumpet-shaped flowers, white or colored
- the flower or the bulb of any of these plants
- any of several plants similar to the true lily, as the waterlily
- the flower of any of these plants
- the heraldic fleur-de-lis, as in the royal arms of France
Origin of lilyMiddle English lilie from Old English from Classical Latin lilium
- designating a family (Liliaceae, order Liliales) of monocotyledonous, usually herbaceous, plants, including the tulips, hyacinths, onions, and asparagus
- like a lily, as in whiteness, delicacy, etc.